Monday, September 15, 2008

Be Kind to Your Referee

I started refing for the year. It always starts with the two worst weekends of the whole year. The first is the JV tournament, and then the second is the Varsity. The JV wasn’t two bad, because we didn’t have too many teams sign up, but the varsity was awful. I went Friday and did 11 hours straight (ugh). I got there at 12:30, and got done at 11:30. I did get breaks for feeding Ethan. Cheyna came down for the JV tournament and it was fun seeing her, she did a good job from what I saw, she is going to be a good ref. Dream big Cheyna . Well I have a list of pet peeves of most every ref.

1. Missing a serve on game point.
2. A team killing another team the first two games, and then somehow it goes 5 games.
3. Teams who’s numbers we can’t see (Cheyna knows why, and I bet Denise knows too).
4. A certain team that I won’t mention that is always late, and always goes 5 games.
5. Adults who take high school volleyball too serious.

I am sure there is more. I will just have to add to the list another time. Remember refs are people too, with families, hobbies, friends, feelings and even blogs, be nice to them.

No comments: