Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Hero!


I have saved my favorite post for last. About a week into school the first graders went to the swimming pool during school. I got a call from Bryant's teacher which had me worried (last call like that I got he had taken a walk to the District Office). His teacher had Bryant tell me what he did, so he gets on the phone and says, "Mom, I saved a little girls life." "What?" "I saved a little girls life, she couldn't swim so I saved her." Elaine gets back on the phone to give me details. She said that Bryant came up to her and said that he had saved a little girl, well being a first grade teacher of many years (believe nothing you hear, and half of what you see;) she patted him on the back and sent him off to play again. Then Merri Shumway who saw the whole thing because she was trying to get to the little girl came over and said, "did you see Nicole Francom's little boy, save that little girl."

Apparently the little girl had gone off the slide and started going under right away, Bryant was by her and saw that she needed help so he took a breath went under pushed her up out of the water and swam her to the side. Merri said she was wondering who was pushing the little girl, and then when she saw it was Bryant it made sense why the kid helping was such a strong swimmer, he has been a great swimmer even in diapers . At first I have to admit I thought, well the girl really would have been OK because Merri was going to get her, but Merri told me that it could have been really bad by the time she got to her, because her lungs would have filled up with water. I was so proud of him I cried. The school announced it over the intercom and gave him two candy bars and a certificate that said "Blanding's Best Assistant Lifeguard". He was so happy. He is my little hero:).

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow! What a great story! What a special little guy. You definitely can be proud of him! Way to go Bryant!

CK Black Family said...

look at you and your massive amounts of blogging!
I love this story about Bryant - he deserves a key to the city for his heroics! Way to go mom in being diligent in teaching him to swim (i still want you to teach my kids)!

Christina said...

What a great story Nicole. I even got teary. I wish my child liked the water as much as your kids. Nash screams when he sees water...lol. Way to go Bryant!!!

Brione said...

That is amazing!! Congratulations on such a wonderful kid. He is a great swimmer, but to realize that someone needed help and to just jump in instead of calling for help! That is amazing! Give him kisses from us!!